The accounting major prepares students for careers in accounting. Accounting majors should consider professional certification - the CPA for public accounting or the CMA for corporate or government accounting. Outside of the core business and core liberal arts courses, the major has a set of core courses that every accounting student must take including:
- ACCT 361 Financial Accounting II
- ACCT 362 Financial Accounting III
- ACCT 371 Personal Income Tax
- ACCT 372 Cost Accounting
- ACCT 441 Auditing Theory and Practice
- ACCT 462 Appl. of Advanced Accounting Principles
- LAW 442 Commercial Law
- FIN 300+
Accounting faculty have industry experience and many hold professional licenses as CPAs, CMAs or both. They are also active researchers and publishers in accounting.
Meet some of our accounting faculty:
Both inside and outside the classroom, the School of Business provides an enriched learning experience.
- Use the latest computerized accounting applications.
- Attend professional accounting meetings.
- Meet with professional accountants.
- Take advantage of leadership opportunities.
- Participate in study tours.
- Work with clients.
The placement rate for School of Business accounting graduates is exceptionally strong (virtually 100%) and is an indication of the high quality of our program. Our placement rate for those going to international, national, and regional CPA firms is particularly strong.
Recent graduates have been placed at the following firms:
- Crowe Horwath
- Harris RF Communications
- The Bonadio Group
- EFP Rotenberg
Many graduates continue on to the MBA Program here at Alfred University, which automatically satisfies the New York State requirements to sit for the CPA exam.
Interested in becoming an accounting major? Check out our major form and meet with your advisor today!
Have an interest in accounting but not for a major? Make it your minor!